We are thinking more creatively about our waste. There have already been too many years beyond where we have not consciously thought about that. We throw away products and food while it is actually still usable. In supermarkets, fruit and vegetables thrown away because they do not meet the “ideal beauty” of society, although they are edible. A carrot with a crack is fine to eat but it is discarded. In Asia are lands full of waste which can’t even be processed anymore. (1) Outside the high costs involving this matter it is also very very bad for the environment. There has to come a solution..
There is more and more known about our food, not only in terms of the ingredients used in food but also about its production and the effect it has on the environment. For example, the meat industry is extremely bad for the environment, it has a huge CO2 emission and requires a lot of energy to run smoothly. (3) This has put people to think and ensured that consumers, businesses and government will take action.
That there is a more increase in transparency in the food industry for example, comes from companies as the Food Watch. They Investigate the food industry and keep an eye on everything. A while back the Foodwatch discovered that many animal products are used in our food, which we know nothing about. They strive for fair food industry where honesty, transparency and flexibility are needed. (4)
In order to prevent food waste in Germany there is coming a new concept on the market. This is a convenience store which is using no packaging. You take your own boxes and / or cans, and it can be filled with the necessary food. Everything in the store is focused on sustainability and no waste. You can use bags from the store and even these are environmentally friendly and biodegradable. This year also opened such a same store in the Netherlands. The supermarket is called Bag and Buy and works with the same mindset. (5).
In the Netherlands, there is now a new campaign in progress. “The doggy bag campaign. Nature and Environment Foundation wants with the free distribution of 50,000 doggy bags to make sure that more and more restaurants are going to use the doggy bag to prevent as food waste. Catering waste namely 51,000 tons of food per year which is equivalent to 77 million hot meals says the Nature and Environment Foundation. This means that the catering industry also has a great part in the food waste. (8)
Also, more and more foundations and corporations in society that are committed against food waste. As Damn Food Waste which cooperates with Food Guerrilla, the nutrition center and government to raise awareness as consumers and businesses of the large quantities of food that is wasted each year and how it can be different. (9)
This trend has only really positive impact on the society. We will become more aware, more creative and better with our food. As a long-term trend it has a positive impact on our world and the environment. It will ensure the need to be processed less waste and are also less exhaust fumes in the air. This also has advantages in the economic field. So why wouldn’t we actually bring any change?
- (Bron 2) Brenninkmeijer, A. (4 september 2013). Zonder transparantie is er geen vertrouwen. Geraadpleegd op 13 augustus 2014, http://www.trouw.nl/tr/nl/4500/Politiek/article/detail/3503623/2013/09/04/Zonder-transparantie-is-er-geen-vertrouwen.dhtml
- (Bron 9) Damn Food Waste. (2014). DamnFoodWaste. Geraadpleegd op 16 augustus 2014. https://www.facebook.com/DamnFoodWaste
- (Bron 7) (19 juli 2014) Franse supermarkt verkoopt expres mismaakt fruit en groenten. Geraadpleegd op 14 augustus 2014. http://www.flabber.nl/linkdump/video/franse-supermarkt-verkoopt-expres-mismaakt-fruit-en-groenten-19383
- (Bron 4) (2014). Foodwatch. Geraadpleegd op 16 augustus 2014, http://www.foodwatch.org/nl/
- (Bron 6) (2014) Info. Geraadpleegd op 16 augustus 2014, https://www.facebook.com/kromkommer/info
- (Bron 1) Van Heinigen, K. (20 augustus 2014). Plastic recycling biedt bantar gebang toekomst. Geraadpleegd op 26 augustus 2014. http://www.verspers.nl/artikel/join/9424/plastic-recycling-biedt-bantar-gebang-toekomst/#.VA2Qf2OOo2A
- (Bron 5) Maarse, H. (28 april 2014). Supermarkt zonder verpakkingen. Geraadpleegd op 14 augustus 2014, http://www.distrifood.nl/Buitenland/Algemeen/2014/4/Supermarkt-zonder-verpakkingen-1510562W/
- (Bron 3) Minga, (24 februari 2012). Waarom we beter geen vlees meer kunnen eten. Geraadpleegd op 14 augustus 2014, http://mijn-kijk-op.infonu.nl/eten-en-drinken/68386-waarom-we-beter-geen-vlees-meer-kunnen-eten.html
- (Bron 8) RTV Utrecht. (26 augustus 2014). Doggybags in restaurants tegen voedselverspilling. Geraadpleegd op 1 september 2014, http://www.rtvutrecht.nl/nieuws/1224185/doggybags-in-restaurants-tegen-voedselverspilling.html
- (Bron 10) Sienot, M. (7 februari 2012). Duik in een prullenbak voor diner. Geraadpleegd op 13 augustus 2014, http://www.vrouwonline.nl/koken/eettips/duik-in-een-prullenbak-voor-je-diner